I would like to increase my benefits
In the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS), you can buy extra pension up to a maximum of £7,026 extra annual pension per year (this figure increases each year in line with the cost of living). To buy extra pension, you can make additional payments into the scheme’s Additional Pension Contribution (APC) arrangement.
You can buy extra pension by paying APCs regularly over a period of time, or you can pay in a one-off lump sum.
The amount it will cost depends on:
- How much extra pension you want to buy
- The age you start paying the extra contributions
- The length of time you want to pay them for
Approved leave of absence
You can also pay an APC to replace lost pension rights: for example, following a period of unpaid child-related leave or an approved leave of absence (including additional purchased leave). In these cases, your employer will share the cost with you.
Get a quote for an APC
If you are interested in paying an APC, please complete and return the form below:
Additional Pension Contributions (APCs) quote request form PDF, 58kb
Please note that if the APC is for a period of approved leave of absence, then you will also need someone in your employer's payroll office to complete part of the form. To confirm that this has happened, the form MUST be signed by an appropriate member of staff (i.e. a payroll administrator).
In an AVC plan:
- You will have a choice of funds to invest in.
- You can change or stop contributions to suit your circumstances.
- You do not need medical clearance to start paying AVCs.
- You can use the AVC fund to increase your monthly pension income
- You can use it for a combination of tax free cash and/ or pension (subject to Inland Revenue limits)
You can either complete an application over the phone, or request an application Information Pack. Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am – 6pm. Calls may be monitored or recorded for quality and security purposes. Alternatively, you can visit their website: Prudential LGPS AVCs webpage for more detailed information and to apply online.
Prudential’s AVC calculator shows how much you could potentially save into an AVC fund and how much you can expect to receive in tax relief. The LGPS has produced a short guide on AVCs and how they work. You are able to view this guide here:
Guide to AVCs for members PDF